Monday, March 29, 2010

Fancy work bake sale

If you haven't figured it out by now I'm a social worker. I work with the elderly and those with disabilities. I investigate abuse and neglect, case manage and basically help people out when they need it if they fall into either of those categories. Before I worked doing the same job but with children. Changing to the other end of the spectrum has really opened my eyes. The biggest difference is that there is NO FUNDING available for the elderly/disabled adults. When I worked for child protective services and a kid came into care with just a shirt and diaper on we went to the store and bought them things. In my current job there is no ability to do that so we have to raise money (which isn't even allowed but what else are you supposed to do)! So we do things like soup days and soup, bread and a dessert that we've made to other people in the office. Today we had planned a Spring Fling with desserts for sale.

Great! I just love being around dessert all day, it makes my life really easy, causes no extra stress and doesn't make me worry at all. I mean put me in a room filled with different varieties of cheesecake, cupcakes, congo bars, cream puffs, ice cream and brownies and I feel no anxiety at all...um yeah right! BOOOOOOOO dessert day!!!

It was bad enough I had to make cupcakes and be alone with a can of frosting (fyi I passed that test with flying colors, no tasting of the frosting). But then surround me with it all freakin' day long, ugh you must be joking?

The good news: we made $96 for prescriptions, taxi rides and other as needed items.
The not so good news: I ate a cupcake. I didn't mean to, I had no intention of eating it but around 3:30 after being around it all day I knew I was going to eat something and there was no way it was going to be the 700+ calorie cheesecake...it could have been way worse so I'm happy about that.

I put in some extra time at the gym to make up for it. 35 minutes on the arc trainer. 30 minutes on the elliptical. A 22 minute forest walk on the treadmill. Strength training for my arms. So I ate the cupcake, but I feel like I made up for it.

Now I just have to make it through tomorrow when we sell the leftovers at half price...and NO I am not putting it into my meal plan, I'm going to try to refrain from them and just keep saying to myself a treat is a once in awhile thing and you had one yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment